Geek to Geek S1E18 - Marvel Cinematic Universe
In this episode:
- The Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) is one of the biggest franchises in movie history. We love it. Love it love it love it. Beej and Void discuss everything from what works in the MCU (and why), their favorite properties and recommendations, and which TV shows or movies, they’d be fine with never seeing again--or at all.
- But a decade ago, we weren’t all enamored with it (yet). Lots of people had no idea who Iron Man was, and comics fans like Beej wondered why they would bring their B-team to the screen. Comics dabblers like Void weren’t excited because of the lackluster comics movies like Daredevil and X3.
- If you haven’t seen Jessica Jones on Netflix, go binge watch it. We’ll wait. It’s worth watching even if you’re not into the MCU at all. It’s not a typical superhero show in the same way Battlestar Galactica isn’t a typical science-fiction show. Sure, there are people with superpowers, but they are background to the personal story being told. Just like how the Cylons are there, but the real story being told is about the people you care about.
- We discuss the freedom that Netflix allows the MCU creators over major networks like ABC, and how that’s a double-edged sword. On one hand, you get Jessica Jones, but that came after they went too far into hyperviolence in Daredevil Season 1. We expect the rest of the Netflix-originals to be more in line with DDS2 and JJ, while Agents of Shield and the now-cancelled Agent Carter struggle to maintain viewers for various reasons (not that they’re bad shows).
- Excited to see more non-origin stories being told. Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Spiderman Homecoming, Black Panther should all deal with existing superheroes, rather than origins, which opens up engaging storytelling avenues.
- We want Captain Marvel to hurry up and get released so we can get a Ms. Marvel movie. We want Kamala Khan. Plz and thx.
Be sure to subscribe to the Geek to Geek Podcast your favorite podcast app, drop a review so we know how we’re doing, and feel free contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or @geektogeekcast on Twitter with any comments, questions, or suggestions for the show. Thanks for listening, and we can’t wait to hear from you!
Geek to Geek Podcast Network:
Music by CarboHydroM