S1E40 - Harry Potter Universe - “I made a sandwich because I was so angry”
Harry Potter Universe
In this episode:
- With the upcoming release of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, we wanted to discuss our love of the Harry Potter franchise and kind of survey the series and expanded universe.
- With the books, we love them. They’re a part of our childhoods and young adulthoods, and on re-reads, they stand up just as well. Void has listened to the audiobooks of Harry Potter multiple times, while Beej never has. He’s only read the physical books over and over again.
- We discuss the change in tone the books take, going from children’s books in the first three, to the serious war story in the last set. That tone is also carried over into the movies, with each director doing his best to fit the tone and atmosphere of the movie with the narrative’s intended audience.
- We discuss the extended universe of Harry Potter, which includes new short stories, Pottermore, the Cursed Child, as well as the upcoming Fantastic Beasts film. Void loves them. A lot. He keeps up with them, reads as they come out and has become invested in the world. Beej, however, feels all the expansion makes the idea of the original series lose its charm, and he doesn’t feel as though the world is fleshed out enough for this expansion. He’s open-minded, though and will eventually dig in and read about the American setting he’s not into.
- Which brings us to Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It’s set in the American past (1920s?), and it’s the first Harry Potter movie that’s specifically written as a screenplay. We are hoping this makes it more cohesive as a narrative; however, the explosion from a single movie to a trilogy to a 5-movie series before the first one has debuted makes us a little wary. Judgment will be reserved until we see it, and we will certainly do a Weekly Geekery segment on it when we do.
Geeky Sponsor / Offer of the Week
Be sure to subscribe to the Geek to Geek Podcast your favorite podcast app, drop a review so we know how we’re doing, and feel free contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or @geektogeekcast on Twitter with any comments, questions, or suggestions for the show. Thanks for listening, and we can’t wait to hear from you!
Geek Offer of the Week:
Geek to Geek Podcast Network:
Music by CarboHydroM